Remember why we are here...

bvohl
on 5/18/12 10:42 am
Good Evening PA!!

It seems that some have forgotten what this board is all about. It really is upsetting and disappointing to me. As a person who has struggled with my weight my WHOLE life and being teased my WHOLE childhood/adulthood about it, I cannot stay quiet and not say anything about this. I know that many of you came to this board for the same reasons I did. Support, advice, love and even a swift kick in the ass when we needed it. This board is supposed to be a safe place for us to vent, cry, etc. It was NEVER for bashing or "mean talk" about other patients! I have made it my mission to not tolerate ANY meanness in my life. Our time here on earth is TOO short to waste on that!!

I would like to call out to all of you out there to keep the meanness out of this board.

Thank you,

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

lynnc99
on 5/18/12 12:28 pm
Beth I have also fought the weight demons my entire life. I first came to OH at Dr. Pupkova's recommendation and found great support during a pre op insurance journey that took forever. Well, 18 months.

Post op, I will be forever indebted to Liz R. who was a regular here at the time. I was having my first dumping experience and she jumped on within seconds - literally seconds! - to help me up understand what was happening. (Now I wonder exactly how I got to the keyboard from being curled up on the bathroom floor.)

I have learned a lot here. Great recipes, support connections, questions answered, and some friends both virtual and face to face.

I hope that we can maintain that kind of community here that will be helpful to newbies....and each other.

Laureen S.
on 5/18/12 12:56 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Beth,

You are absolutely right, we need to remember that this is a place where people come to gather information and get support.  There are many who cannot get to group meetings and come here, many too afraid to even do more than read posts and when we present here with thoughts that are unkind towards others, it makes people even more afraid to share what they need to, or want to participate.  We all have issues of some kind, but that is no excuse for unkindness, whether directed to someone on this site, or not, it can cause others real emotional distress. . . and haven't we all suffered enough of that. . .

Here's to a safe haven to discuss whatever one needs to in order to achieve their desired results and help them when the maintenance aspect of living this lifestyle kicks in, because this is a roller coaster ride and so strap in and enjoy the ride. . .

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Arlene E.
on 5/20/12 10:13 am - Philadelphia, PA

Beth

I am just reading this after I posted very similar sentiments to the post from Thursday. I am glad to see that you feel the same way I do. Enough of all this ugly stuff.  As I've stated in meetings, I am not willing to tolerate meanness and constant negativity. I want people in my life who are mature enough to understand that being mean or hurtful to others, especially in public, reflects to others an insecure, unhappy self.  If that is the case, then reach out for support.  Unkindness to others can not possibly help one's self  heal. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views